MOGADISHU, Somalia — The Kenyan intelligence service has revealed the names of three Kenyans whom were said to have been involved in a deadly suicide car bomb and gun attack on Nasa-Hablod, a popular hotel located at Km-4 area in Mogadishu on June 25, 2016.
Issack Ibrahim Dyati, Yussuf Abdi and Issack Gola from north-east Kenya, including Mandera, were responsible for the July attack in Mogadishu that left at least 20 people dead, including deputy minister for environment of Somalia, Buri Hamza.
The three men had been fighting for Al Shabaab for almost two years and were trained in Somalia to take part in the group’s attacks against Somali and AU peacekeepers (AMSIOM).
An official in Jubbaland State of Somalia, who did not want to be named, has confirmed to ArmedPolitics about the report, and he said that the Kenyans were killed during the hotel siege by Somali security forces.
The Kenyan Intelligence report said that Al Shabaab is enlisting more recruits from Kenya than any other country in East Africa. Police are working out how to keep teenagers out of the hands of recruiters.
In the past few years, Al Shabaab has intensified its recruitment of the mostly Kenyan youth and other pastoralist tribes from the larger Isiolo County to beef up its ranks.
Al Shabaab operatives within Isiolo town have recruited mostly young and unsuspecting school girls and boys.
Kenya Tackles Radicalization And Its Citizens Joining Al Shabaab
The Government of Kenya said it has deployed additional troops and increased day-to-day patrols along the porous border with neighboring Somalia, in a move in order to thwart Al Shabaab attacks.
Mandera County Commissioner Fredrick Shisia said on Tuesday that the Kenyan government is committed to fight Al Shabaab and to stabilize the conflict-riddled Horn of Africa nation (Somalia).
“Kenya has put its security forces on high alert after receiving intelligence information that Al Shabaab fighters crossed in the border to carry out an attack in northeast region,” Shisia said.
He said Kenyan police intercepted six youngsters at the border who were trying to cross into Somalia and join the Al Qaeda-affiliated Al Shabaab group this week.
Early this year, the Kenyan government announced it will close Dadaab, the world’s largest refugee camp, which is home to more than 300,000 Somalis, over security concerns.
Kenya says Al Shabaab terror attacks on its soil have been planned inside the Dadaab refugee camp, a blame that International aid agencies have condemned and asked Nairobi not to forcefully repatriate the refugees back to Somalia, which is still a dangerous country.
By Omar Nor, ArmedPolitics